Page 2 of 5

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:31 pm
by Gabe
THe lights are out for the night, however I will take shots of the tank. As of the algae I have no idea! I got a few different ones.

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:35 pm
by Crazygar
Can be easily controlled Gabe. Just a little more time needs to be spent on the tank.

Gary

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:46 pm
by Gabe
Here are some algae pictures!
Image
1- is red
2- is green
3- is black

Image
Image
This is the back wall of the tank!
Image
The black algae on the plants!
Image
The red algae on the plants!

Now some FTS!
Image
Image
Image

Not quite an algae farm, but enough to be annoying! :rant: Also the micro swords suppose to take over most of the front of the tank and they are not cooperating at all! For some reason I have very little growth on them! Also the osolot sword only grew half what it supposed to, and the red melon sword just spread into a flat "blob" :think: . The only thing that is doing well is the plant Gary gave me ( The crossed Crypt! ) before he skipped out on me! :rofl: It is all his fault that my tank is not going the way I planed on it! :biglaugh:

I use excel daily, macro and micro nutrients twice a week!

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:57 pm
by freshfish
My RX would be less light, add more stems, & some floating plants.

You're using Excel on this tank? Must go through it pretty quickly...

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:32 pm
by Crazygar
I use Excel weekly. Too much of a good thing can help algae grow not compete with it. My suggestion is dose after your weekly water changes.

Algae 1 & 3 - Red Smear Algae. Over abundance of nutrients in your tank. Whats your photoperiod?
Algae 2 - Green Algae. Once again, abundance of nutrients in your tank. How many Otocinclus do you have in that tank? You need to start doing some cutting back on the ferts.

Gary

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:47 pm
by Gabe
Crazygar wrote:I use Excel weekly. Too much of a good thing can help algae grow not compete with it. My suggestion is dose after your weekly water changes.


I was under the impression that Excel only stays in the water for 24 hour period!

Crazygar wrote:Whats your photoperiod?


Was 10 hours, now four on two off four on!

Crazygar wrote:Once again, abundance of nutrients in your tank.


Could be overfeeding? My little boy "helps" feed the fish daily! I do a day off of feeding every four days!

Crazygar wrote:How many Otocinclus do you have in that tank?


I got four or five, I never can count the little buggers, they hide good. I know I lost one for sure out of the initial six.

Crazygar wrote:You need to start doing some cutting back on the ferts.


Should I go once a week, or twice half the amount?

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:50 pm
by Gabe
freshfish wrote:My RX would be less light, add more stems, & some floating plants.


I did reduce the light by 2 hours! I would put more stems, however there are not available in town! Floating plants are also scarce, unless I put some pond lilies or water hyacinths.!

freshfish wrote:You're using Excel on this tank? Must go through it pretty quickly...


The tank is only a 46G bow front! A cap full a day is not that much Excel.

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:46 am
by montanahh
Some Nerite snails will take care of that GSA pretty pronto. Too many nutrients can definately cause an algae issue as stated above.

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:34 pm
by Crazygar
Excel is organic Co2. I dose weekly, and undose at that. That goes with the trace elements. Also feeding, one day on, one day off. Sometimes, and just feed "enough". I expect my fish to scavenge (therefore helping with cleanup and substrate disruption) on the off days. In the wild sometimes, they won't feed for days.

Also, certain brands of foods are more superior than others. My fish eat better than I do I think some days. Then again my diet lately hasn't been the greatest... where are those Algae Wafers...

Gary

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:55 am
by montanahh
Algae wafers..mmmmm. I can't believe I am buying them in the 2.2lb bag now. Lots of loaches to feed, and if they dont get the wafers, they turn on my Echinos big time. Sure miss summer time. Just walk outside and grab a zuccini.

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:36 pm
by Gabe
I guess I just have to adjust: feeding, lighting, ferts, CO2......darn, lets just start over! :D Maybe I should just consider a tare-down and go SW........... :think: :whistle: :rant:

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:52 am
by WhoMe???
Gabe wrote:I guess I just have to adjust: feeding, lighting, ferts, CO2......darn, lets just start over! :D Maybe I should just consider a tare-down and go SW........... :think: :whistle: :rant:


Woah, don't give up... it's a balancing act, yes. But with some careful planning it's worth it!

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:15 pm
by Crazygar
Try some other fast growing Stem plants in there as well Gabe. Hygro and Water Sprite are always two favourites of mine when starting a new tank. They are absolute sponges when it comes to nutrients.

Gary

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:49 pm
by montanahh
Here is the funny thing. I have started off tanks with nothing but Crypts. and a few swords amd apons and never had probs. I contribute that to RO. The classic rules say start off with fast growing plants to out compete the algae, but if you start your filter with phosphate control, everything seems to work out fine. The only presence is that of iron and nitrogen, and trace elements, but if you take phosphate out of the equation in new tanks they flourish fine. Now I am only speaking from my own experience, and it breaks the rules a bit. Even with potting soil/peat substrates it works which the photos I am using for reference are. I should also mention this is a low tech tank, no CO2 injection, just excel, comprehensive, and iron.

Re: The "siesta" method for algae control

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:09 am
by WhoMe???
montanahh wrote:Here is the funny thing. I have started off tanks with nothing but Crypts. and a few swords amd apons and never had probs. I contribute that to RO. The classic rules say start off with fast growing plants to out compete the algae, but if you start your filter with phosphate control, everything seems to work out fine. The only presence is that of iron and nitrogen, and trace elements, but if you take phosphate out of the equation in new tanks they flourish fine. Now I am only speaking from my own experience, and it breaks the rules a bit. Even with potting soil/peat substrates it works which the photos I am using for reference are. I should also mention this is a low tech tank, no CO2 injection, just excel, comprehensive, and iron.


It sounds like you're definitly on the right track, and have done your homework. Good.

But I have to point out one thing, and it's something I think is getting overlooked... Algea is a naturally occuring organism. Now I know you just probably said.. "well, Duh.." lol. But think about it, in the wild there is no such thing as "Algea-free". In fact, in all the years I've been doing this, I've never gotten a totally balanced, completely "algea-free" tank. I've used siesta, redfeld ratio, and anything else I could think of, until it occured to me why bother??? And I'm serious about this. I just don't think it can be done.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating letting it go, by no means. But I am saying it's just something that a fishhead like us, especially an aquatic gardening fishhead, is going to have to adjust for. I try to get it where I can, and then maybe once a month if I have to scrape the glass, so be it. But personally I don't mind a bit here and there, in balance with the rest of the tank's plant life.
Plus without algea you have starving Otos, and we can't have that, right Gary???? lmao