Page 1 of 1

Algae Bloom... Opinions! Please!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:01 pm
by Freshwater Tropic
I Got an Algae bloom and Dont know what to do to get red of it! I think I might be leaving the light on for too long! I dont know I leave it on for like 10-12Hrs... What does everyone think of the Plecos? I've heard they will possibly be mean to my other fish? I need help bad! I dont know what would be an efficient way to get rid of it smoothly... Someone Please throw me some options!

Re: Algae Bloom... Opinions! Please!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:12 pm
by Dutchman
Test your water!!!!!!!! Nitrates and Phosphates are important algae agents. There must be a certain ratio between the two to avoid blooms.

PS: Forgot to mention . . . also test your tap water or whatever you use for water changes.

Re: Algae Bloom... Opinions! Please!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:02 am
by freshfish
What kind of algae? http://www.aquariaplants.com is a good place to read up on algaes and various treatment options.

Re: Algae Bloom... Opinions! Please!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:24 am
by montanahh
Dittoes. We need to know about your water parameters and maintanace schedule, and what kind of lights you are using and how old they are. Then we can move on to helping you :)