Page 1 of 1

Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:00 am
by tank71
Been doing some research on stocking my new 15 gallon tank and pretty much decided on have neon tetras and ottos cats and I want some kind of cory cats.
I've been looking at pygmy corys but been researching and will my substrate Caribsea Flormax be a issue because pygmy corys rather have sand? Or should I go with panda corys my second choice?

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:47 am
by ScottFish
I think you'll be fine with Caribsea substrate. Size looks alright, and IMO I'd steer away from sand. Of course, I love plants, and plants and sand are a hard combination to pull off.

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:04 am
by Crazygar
Sand compacts, crushes roots, ensures no nutrients get to the roots and stagnates. Sand is usually a bad idea unless you are doing a "no plant" tank and have loads of digging fish.

Your substrate choice is good. Plant and let them take root before adding the Corydoras. They will uproot (by accident) any newly planted plant, so it's best to give your plants time to grow before adding your occupants. I do this for my tanks what have Corydoras.

Gary

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:38 am
by tank71
Okay thanks just wondering if the substrate was good for the corys barbells. Btw is that true to rough a substrate it will wear down a corys barbells down?

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:25 am
by Crazygar
Bad water quality, poor diet are the cause of Barbel erosion, but if you have an extra sharp substrate, it could possibly be the cause as well. With Carib Sea Flora Mix, you have nothing to fear.

Gary

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:07 am
by tank71
Crazygar wrote:Bad water quality, poor diet are the cause of Barbel erosion, but if you have an extra sharp substrate, it could possibly be the cause as well. With Carib Sea Flora Mix, you have nothing to fear.

Gary


Thank you Crazygar

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:47 am
by Crazygar
You are most welcome. I like to disprove the "Barbel Erosion" theory about substrate and Corydoras. While it could be a cause if you have sharp granules, the real reason is most likely water quality and diet.

Gary

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:01 pm
by freshfish
Gary and I caught wild Cories in Bolivia over gravel so sharp it hurt to walk on. I personally don't buy sharp substrate = barbel problems, I think it's something else and people were making the wrong link as to cause, like what Gary said.

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:13 pm
by tank71
freshfish wrote:Gary and I caught wild Cories in Bolivia over gravel so sharp it hurt to walk on. I personally don't buy sharp substrate = barbel problems, I think it's something else and people were making the wrong link as to cause, like what Gary said.


Thanks for the advice guys.It seems corys losing barbells in rough substrate is a common problem that came up when i was doing my research on stocking my tank.

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:17 am
by Crazygar
And when we collecting in Bolivia, Corydoras were quite literally almost everywhere we collected, the only place was a hot water "rapids" area where the rocks were super heating the water and the flow was strong. Though in this part, we caught Plecos and tons of Darter Tetras (Characidium).

Corydoras need a good diet and can not survive on scraps alone. Provide good water and diet, and you'll have Corydoras with some serious Fu-Man Chus!

Gary

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:33 am
by tank71
Crazygar wrote:And when we collecting in Bolivia, Corydoras were quite literally almost everywhere we collected, the only place was a hot water "rapids" area where the rocks were super heating the water and the flow was strong. Though in this part, we caught Plecos and tons of Darter Tetras (Characidium).

Corydoras need a good diet and can not survive on scraps alone. Provide good water and diet, and you'll have Corydoras with some serious Fu-Man Chus!

Gary


Alright Gary thanks for the tips on the good water and diet.

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:01 pm
by Blulu
I've had habrosas in a mix of Flora Max and Flourite for a year with no issues. Part of the same tank is an island of coarse sand, no problems there, either. It's possible, I imagine if your substrate were broken glass sharp to have barbel damage, but they don't wear off. I've seen many, many barbel erosion problems fixed fairly quickly with lots of water changes, vacuuming, etc. Long term, less feeding and better tank management kept the problem from recurring. Bottom feeders get the metabolic products of substrate decomposition bacteria first and are exposed constantly to everything that falls to the bottom.

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:33 pm
by Crazygar
Well put @Blulu<-- ATUB -->.

Gary

Re: Carib Sea Flora Max substrate and pygmy corys?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:43 am
by tank71
Thanks Blulu I try to keep up with my tank maintenance.